Badminton’s world number one Kento Momota suffered a broken nose, fractured cheekbone and received stitches to his lips following the crash on Monday (Jan 13) morning.
Youth and Sports Minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman said Momota and three others, who also suffered injuries following the crash that killed the driver of the van the group was travelling in, are currently being treated at the Putrajaya Hospital.
“According to the doctors, so far all four are recovering well and are in a stable condition.
“We are monitoring all of them very closely.
“As the minister, we give our full commitment to ensure that they receive the best treatment.
“The doctors are well trained and have done a great job,” said Syed Saddiq to reporters at the Putrajaya Hospital after visiting the crash victims.
Also seen visiting the victims were BAM president Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria, BAM secretary Datuk Kenny and Japan’s coach Park Joo Bong.
The van ferrying the four crashed into a lorry at KM13.7 of the Maju Expressway (MEX Highway) on Monday morning.
The driver, N. Bavan, 24, was killed on the spot.
Fire and Rescue Department officials took a while to retrieve his body from the wreckage.
Two other Japanese victims in the accident have been identified as 35-year-old badminton coach Hirayama Yu and 42-year-old physiotherapist Morimoto Akifumi.
Another victim has been identified as William Thomas, a 30-year-old Badminton World Federation technical officer from Britain.
They were on their way to the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), after being involved in the Perodua Malaysia Masters 2020 badminton tournament, which Momota won in the men’s single’s category.